Roasted Pumpkin and Winter Squash Soup
We tried this recipe last night and were both pleasently surprised the kids didn’t seem keen on trying it, so we made a nice home date night out of it. We paired this with the Focacia Bread.
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled fresh pumpkin (about 2 pounds)
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds) we used acorn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 3 cups sliced yellow onion (about 2) we used red onion it is what we had on hand
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- We added a dash of pumpkin pie spice
- We added some coconut milk
- Dash of ground allspice
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine first three ingredients in a large bowl; toss well.
- Place pumpkin mixture on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. (we used crock pot)
- Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add onion; sauté 8 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic; sauté 1 minute.
- Add all ingredients to crock pot slow cooker. Add pumpkin mixture, 4 cups water, and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Blend with hand mixer in slow cooker. Blend until smooth.