Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Tuna Casserole
We have made this multiple times this as turned out really good.
- 3½ cups brown rice pasta (or other wheat free pasta, fusilli shape, cooked to aldente, other shapes may be used like penne)
- 4½ tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup frozen peas, rinsed of ice (optional)
- ¼ cup rice flour (to be gluten free)
- 2 cups chicken broth(or more if needed)
- ¼ cup helmans olive oil mayonnaise (to be soy free)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna in water (in water not veg broth to be soy free)
- ¾ cup bread, torn into crumbs (optional, wheat free bread only from health food stores)
- paprika (not the hot kind)
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grease a shallow baking dish I use 9″ x 13″.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan over medium heat, add onion & sliced mushrooms, cook until tender then remove from pan.
Add 2 more tablespoons olive oil to pan and stir in flour whisking until smooth and frothy.
Gradually add broth until it forms a sauce consistency.
Then stir in the mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Stir until mixture is smooth.
Mix in drained tuna, mushroom, onions & thawed peas if using.
Spread pasta in baking dish and pour sauce to cover. (Will get dry pieces if some are left uncovered).
Tear bread into crumbs and sprinkle on top if using sift paprika over entire pan to give a lovely colour and drizzle the additional olive oil.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes until slightly browned on top.