• 1 (15 ounce) can reduced-sodium chickpeas, at room temperature
• ⅓ cup white sugar
• 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
• 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon ground ginger
• ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
• ¼ teaspoon salt
1. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
2. To prepare filling: Drain chickpeas, measuring ½ cup of the bean liquid (aquafaba) into a mixing bowl. (Save the chickpeas for another use.) Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form, 3 to 5 minutes. Add sugar and continue beating on high until shiny and glossy, about 1 minute more.
3. Whisk pumpkin, coconut oil, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt in a large bowl. Gently fold in the whipped aquafaba. Pour the mixture into the crust.
4. Bake the pie until the outer edges of the filling are set and the crust is lightly browned, 35 to 45 minutes. It will seem like the filling is not fully cooked, but it will set up as it cools. Let cool on a wire rack for 1 hour, then refrigerate overnight.